|Wish You Were Here|
|Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. I-V)|
|Welcome To The Machine|
Song Name: Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. I-V)
Artist: Pink Floyd
Run Time: 13:30
Track Number: 1
Written By: Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright
- Part I (Wright, Waters, Gilmour; from 0:00 – 3:54) begins with the fade-in of a dense synth pad created with an EMS VCS 3, an ARP Solina, a Hammond organ and the sound of wet fingers running around the rims of wine glasses filled with various amounts of water. This is followed by plaintive Minimoog passages and a lengthy guitar solo played by Gilmour on a Strat (neck and middle pickups) using heavily compressed sound and reverb. This ends with the synth pad fading into the background.
- Part II (Gilmour, Waters, Wright; from 3:55 – 6:27) begins with a 4 note theme repeated through the entire section. This includes a 2nd solo by Gilmour. Mason starts drumming after the 4th playing of the 4 note theme. This is referred to as Syd's Theme.
- Part III (Waters, Gilmour, Wright; from 6:28 – 8:42) begins with a Minimoog solo. This includes a 3rd Gilmour guitar solo.
- Part IV (Gilmour, Wright, Waters; from 8:43 – 11:09) Waters does the lead vocal with Gilmour and Wright backing him up.
- Part V (Waters, from 11:10 – 13:30) has 2 guitars repeating a riff for a minute. A baritone sax overlays the sounds, played by Dick Parry. It ends as the sax changes from a baritone sax to a tenor sax. After, a time signature switch from 6/8 to 12/16 creates the appearance that the tempo speeds up, though the arpeggio guitar part remains unchanged in the background. The sax solo is accompanied by an ARP string synth keyboard sound. A machine-like hum slowly fades in from right to left as the saxophone gradually becomes more distant and this segues into "Welcome To The Machine".
|Credits | Chronology|