|The Dark Side Of The Moon|
|The Great Gig In The Sky|
|Us And Them|
Song Name: Money
Artist: Pink Floyd
Run Time: 6:30
Track Number: 6
Sung By: David Gilmour
|Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd|
|Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun|
Written By: Roger Waters
- In the sheet music, the dominant time signature is 7/4. Gilmour, and Waters, have stated it as being 7/8. Most rock music in 4/4, and most exceptions are in 3/4. The typical rock backbeat on 2 and 4 is on 2, 4, and 6, leaving 2 beats in a row without an accented beat from the snare. When Gilmour's solo starts, the song goes to 4/4, returns to 7/4, then ends in 4/4. This was done because Gilmour said it was "probably to make my life easier so I didn't have to think about the timing". Critics say that the change of dynamic (keeping tempo, but changing from 7 to 4 beats) is one of the song's strengths.
- This was created in a makeshift studio Waters had in his garden shed, and the original demo was "prissy and very English" unlike having the final version's "bluesy, transatlantic feel". Although this is credited to him alone since he wrote the basic music and lyrics, it's a group effort; the instrumental jam was a band collaboration, Gilmour overseeing time change and his guitar solo, Dick Parry doing the sax solo, and Richard and Nick improvising their parts. Money was re-recorded for A Collection Of Great Dance Songs because Capitol refused to license the track to Columbia. As a result, Gilmour re-recorded the track himself and co-produced with James Guthrie. Dick Parry played sax on the track like he did the original.
- In The Wall movie, in the middle of "The Happiest Days Of Our Lives", there's a short break in the music, during a scene in the school - the teacher mocks Pink's poems. The part he reads out loud is the lyrics of "Money": "Money, Get Back, I'm All Right Jack, Keep Your Hands Off Of My Stack. New Car, Caviar, Four-Star Daydream, Think I'll Buy Me A Football Team."
- The line "Don't Give Me That Do-Goody-Good Bullshit" remained uncut by MTV, but "Bullshit" does not appear on closed caption.
- When The Dark Side Of The Moon is synced to The Wizard Of Oz (The Dark Side Of The Rainbow ), Money comes on at the same second the movie switches to color.
|Credits | Chronology|